Netherlands : Ratko Mladic, the former Bosnian Serb military chief facing genocide charges at a U.N. court, has been hospitalized with suspected pneumonia and is responding well to treatment, one of his lawyers said Tuesday.
A spokeswoman for the Yugoslav war crimes tribunal where Mladic is detained confirmed the 69-year-old war crimes suspect “is currently receiving medical treatment”, but said she could give no further details.
“Mladic was transferred to the Tribunal with a series of pre-existing medical conditions for which he is receiving treatment,” spokeswoman Nerma Jelacic said in a statement. “The Tribunal continues to provide Mladic, as any other detainee, with the best possible medical care and attention available in the Netherlands.”
Mladic lawyer Milos Saljic said jail authorities had told him that Mladic had been hospitalized.
“We have had contact with the prison doctor, who said that Mladic was diagnosed with pneumonia and hospitalized and they have started treating him with antibiotics, which he has taken well and is feeling somewhat better,” Saljic said.
Serbian authorities arrested Mladic in May, 16 years after he was first indicted for allegedly masterminding the worst Serb atrocities of the 1992-95 Bosnian war, including the 1995 massacre of 8,000 Muslim men in Srebrenica and the four-year siege of Sarajevo.