A Belgian businessman shot dead in the Mexican resort city of Acapulco on Saturday had received death threats, the man’s company said.
Initial media reports said Jan Sarens, 59, was shot in the chest after resisting two assailants who were attempting to steal his Mercedes Benz convertible.
But Belgium-based Sarens Group said Sunday Sarens had received death threats after he filed a lawsuit against a former Mexican associate, Gruas Ojeda.
“A short while after the start of the activities in Mexico the Sarens Group became the victim of scams by their then partner, the Mexican enterprise Gruas Ojeda,” the family-run crane business said in a statement.
After taking further legal action against the former associate, Sarens began receiving death threats, the statement said.
The latest violent attack against a foreigner in Acapulco, Mexico’s murder capital in 2012, came as the Pacific resort city prepares to host the Mexican Open tennis tournament this week, the Associated Press reported.
Earlier this month, a group of armed men raped six Spanish women visiting Acapulco from Mexico City.